On the way - to review course

I just finished the Ultimate guide to game development 2019 and would like to share my thoughts about the course.

My background with courses

I am not a newbie in terms of taking courses online. At the time I changed my position at the company to database developer I was able to peform only basics SELECT queries with some JOINS and had a small and foggy knowledge of java and basics of OOP from an university. It was necessary to fill the knowledge gap to become valuable for a company and prove that it was not a mistake to give me a chance. 

So for some time I was waking up at 3 a.m. each morning and spent time learning at pluralsight. It must be said that despite the fact that I finished quite a few courses I am still a newbie in terms of learning platforms since it was all done in pluralsight. Expect for course "Intro to game development" which is from Zenva academy and I finished it before I moved to Ultimate guide to game development. The course taught me basics about moving object and about Unity interface which was valuable and I am glad I took it before any other course.

Ultimate guide to game development 2019

I have to say the course was more than satisfying. The real positive thing about the course is challenges during the course and their review (where the tutor will show you step need to be done in order to complete the challenge) which are in fact the most valuable part of the course. Not only it helped me to work with documentation but it forced me to think about parts of the game on my own. Something what was not necessary with courses I took so far.

At the end you will have one full 2D game, 2.5D platform prototype and 3D demo game and knowledge about some unity methods and compontents. All can be done without any deep knowledge of c# or its desing patterns. You can really focus on game engine. To be honest it can even help someone to learn c# a bit.

I was doing the course at https://unity.gamedevhq.com/humble-bundle-2019/ and there are two cons which I unfortunately have to mention:
  • no information about the time which was spend on course and which is in front me,
  • marking each step with "completed". It was annoying.
But it is no harm for the course itself, you can take it on different platform. As the "starter" course it is really beneficial and I do not regret the money used to buy it.

Some usefull hints for the course

  1. Get familiar with https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ExecutionOrder.html it will come handy
  2. Read something about fixedupdate and update (first mention is at 2.5D platformer prototype)
  3. During the 3D part you are going to encounter situation when the player is falling from the market model even thoug you did everything as it was told to do. In that case go to the project settings > physics > autosync transformation (or you can solve with by knowledge from point 1. and 2. since it is connected to this topic)
  4. It happened to me that part of the market did not have set layers to default which caused me troubles with the camera for the gun
  5. Join the discord at https://discord.gg/AQNyheN since it is a good source to get anwers to your problems 

Comments