On the way - to Zombie crusher review!

I was reading the web page (https://www.awesometuts.com/about) of my tutor Fahir Mehovic and he has written there, I quote " I take the different approach than most "experts" out here". Based on my experiences with courses so far he does not take different approach. It is just project based learning nothing more. Sometimes the logic which he choose to implement some things seems to be a bit off too but in the comments he defend himself with "every developer has his own way to do things". Which is true but he mostly does not explain his own way at all. Sure, there is some explanation from time to time, mostly of the obvious things and the harder one to explain are left off.

The different approach was taken by Ultimate guide to game development with Unity. These challenges I have been praising so far are really the most valuable things. Watching him to do something is indeed valuable too, but not so much and certainly it is not a different approach than the rest of how he quote them "experts" (dont you think he thinks a little lot about himself?).

Well, first two paragraphs basically sum up my feelings about this section. It could be so much more valuable with different approach. I was not even able to predict what should be done next since there is no logic written in advance with comments so student can pause it and try to do the logic by himself. But there are still some good and usable ideas, like spawning lanes, using slider as healthbar. Cant remember anything else in fact. :)

Final review of the Zombie crush part:

  1. not so much space for doing things on your own in advance in the "challenges" style
  2. some things are not explain clearly
  3. introducing interesting ways to spawn enemies and using the slider of UI as healthbar

Because I am quite annoyed by the Fahir and also my first project should be "survival shooter" isometric game I am going to take a pause with him and going to try learn.unity.com where I have a one year subscription to take a course https://learn.unity.com/project/survival-shooter-tutorial.

I am not going to use the assest for the game. It will be just prototype. The most important part for me from the course will be camera setting and player control movement even though I think it will be done via navmesh so nothing new under the sun.

Some usefull hints

  1. Try not to kill yourself during the Zombie crusher
  2. Avoid it if possible :)
Time spent on learning [29:16:47] - and guess what?! Those 47 second are especially important! 

Comments