On the way - to Awesome Platfomer (Mario) grand finale!

"It has been long time since the young man walking on his path to become game developer wrote a post for his blog. He was not death nor lazy. Each day he made the effort to learn something new. Some days it was in a matter of minutes other days it took an hours."

Hey, I am back! Sorry for the beginning but I am sure you will get used to it. Back in time I wanted to be also a writter and because I have been reading english book last few days to practice my english (The name of the wind between) I made a decision that I will also try to write in fancy way.

Anyway I was not wrtting for a while because I did not want to continue in the trend of writting so many parts for one section of the course. It has 18 sections with 40 hours worth of material. I was afraid that it would lead to blog full of posts without any value.

The lenght of the section for Awesome Platformer is about 7 hours and I by far exceed this lenght. Why is that you may wonder. Well, do you remember the post where I did a review for a Ultimate guide to game development? I mentioned that I like the "challenges" which force you to think about what you are doing. I am trying to keep the same with this course. Other thing is that I read a lot in documentation or articles about a topic which poped in my head during the tutorial.

So once I know what is the goal of the step (each step is focus on part of the game like moving, shooting, etc..) I pause the course and try to do it by myself. After that I watch the full content of the video. If there are some differences I try to find out why a tutor used this particular approach and if it is better than what I learned in other courses. If you are going to take this course I suggest you to do the same!

I have to say it was a valuable section. Here is just quick summary what you can get from this section:
  1. At least 3 ways how to handle collisions
  2. How to animate sprites
  3. How to add events to animation
  4. How to position the sprites in animation during the animation
  5. How to move the characters
  6. How to create user interfaces
The tutor is still annoying like hell and some things are left without explanation but it was worth the money invested in buying the course. It should took me one month to get to the end of the course. After that I believe I will be quite confident in creating easy games.

Of course I managed to get into some troubles during the section which I am going to mention in the usefull hints part below. Take a note that it just a hints not detailed description. My next post is going to about applying different types of ways to move the object and the differencies which I was able to observe (from memory there is like 5 ways to move the object..at least).

Some usefull hints

  1. Beware of the sticky walls! Quick trick is to use PhysicsMaterial with frinction set to 0.
  2. Beware of the ghost vertices! There is actually a lot of tricks how to handle it. I used edge collider at the to of the block and box collider for the rest of the block with same space between the edge collider. This way the box collider of player and the box collider of block are not compare with each other and therefore causing this situation. Nice article is here: http://www.iforce2d.net/b2dtut/ghost-vertices
Time spent on learning [17:32:18] - and guess what?! Those 18 second are especially important!


Comments