On the way - to finish prototype of my first game!
"He tried to create a whole new world only to realize that he is not well-educated in the magic of creation and should first start with something achievable. From this day, he dreams about big things but creates small."
It was a bumpy road for sure. From the first try at November 19, 2019 till this moment it took me: 30:04:51 to finish this piece of work. For Lurum Dare I am going to have 72 hours - well, 48, I have to sleep, right?
Of course, there was a lot of studying in the background. It was not necessary to write a review about them. Mainly because they were used just to get some knowledge about a stuff which I wanted to do in the game therefore I was not so thorough as with the rest. Below you have a list of courses which I took up to this moment and havent mentioned them before:
Colors of the souls were set by R,G,B components and by shooting the proper color you would fill the rgb components and would clean the soul (making it white). Maybe you remember: https://onthewaytogamedev.blogspot.com/2019/11/on-way-to-review-work-on-survival.html. As I wrote in the article it was not engaging as I thought it would be. It brought me down quite a bit and I was like " Am I going to do something special and engaging?". The "bachelor" syndrom (as my all knowing partner called it) occured once again and I wanted to give up.
Nevertheless I continued and the idea of beacon was made. Beacon should attract these poor souls and hold them for set amount of time. This way the player could control the mass of souls heading toward the gate. The gate would accept the souls only in the order which was displayed above the gate. And believe me I went crazy there! A lot of idea poped in my head and it was way over what I was able to achieve at that time. And I am not even going to talk about what a scope of game it would be if all the ides should have been done. Not to mention that the code was not definetly prepared for such a scale. It was a spaghetti code cooked by Jamie Oliver.
I literally went nuts because of how the game looked like. Oh my, what less I would expect from myself than graphics on the level of God of war? Like do you really think I am going to waste my time with some game which will not cause total revolution in the world of games?
Guess yes, I am going to waste a time for a games which will not cause total revolution in the world of games. As you can see on the video above - the result is awful. I really spent a lot of time by thinking about how to make a game nice to look at but I had to give up. It would destroy my own soul in the process. What is even worst is that I wanted to add new features all the time (like the monster on picture below, it should be spawned in case the wrong soul enter on the stairs). I could work on this for a year and it would be never finished. I do not want this.
What is even worse is I did not have a fun at all during this little project. It hit me when friend of my was showing me how he was doing games back in the days and it was obvious that it was fun for him. Check it: https://bit.ly/2Zgm1Po . The fun emits from it. I want to do stuff like that.
Time spent on learning [89:29:45] - and guess what?! Those 45 seconds are the most important!
It was a bumpy road for sure. From the first try at November 19, 2019 till this moment it took me: 30:04:51 to finish this piece of work. For Lurum Dare I am going to have 72 hours - well, 48, I have to sleep, right?
Of course, there was a lot of studying in the background. It was not necessary to write a review about them. Mainly because they were used just to get some knowledge about a stuff which I wanted to do in the game therefore I was not so thorough as with the rest. Below you have a list of courses which I took up to this moment and havent mentioned them before:
- https://app.pluralsight.com/library/courses/swords-shovels-game-managers-loaders-game-loop/table-of-contents
- https://app.pluralsight.com/library/courses/your-first-day-blender-1786/table-of-contents
- https://www.udemy.com/course/vfx-for-games-in-unity-beginner-to-intermediate
- https://app.pluralsight.com/library/courses/game-design-fundamentals/table-of-contents
Background
First idea for the game was to make a easy survival shooter with a topic of souls of death colored by its emotion. You were in the role of "Colorgami" - who was responsible for balancing the soul so it could leave the middle space between life and death.Colors of the souls were set by R,G,B components and by shooting the proper color you would fill the rgb components and would clean the soul (making it white). Maybe you remember: https://onthewaytogamedev.blogspot.com/2019/11/on-way-to-review-work-on-survival.html. As I wrote in the article it was not engaging as I thought it would be. It brought me down quite a bit and I was like " Am I going to do something special and engaging?". The "bachelor" syndrom (as my all knowing partner called it) occured once again and I wanted to give up.
Nevertheless I continued and the idea of beacon was made. Beacon should attract these poor souls and hold them for set amount of time. This way the player could control the mass of souls heading toward the gate. The gate would accept the souls only in the order which was displayed above the gate. And believe me I went crazy there! A lot of idea poped in my head and it was way over what I was able to achieve at that time. And I am not even going to talk about what a scope of game it would be if all the ides should have been done. Not to mention that the code was not definetly prepared for such a scale. It was a spaghetti code cooked by Jamie Oliver.
I literally went nuts because of how the game looked like. Oh my, what less I would expect from myself than graphics on the level of God of war? Like do you really think I am going to waste my time with some game which will not cause total revolution in the world of games?
Guess yes, I am going to waste a time for a games which will not cause total revolution in the world of games. As you can see on the video above - the result is awful. I really spent a lot of time by thinking about how to make a game nice to look at but I had to give up. It would destroy my own soul in the process. What is even worst is that I wanted to add new features all the time (like the monster on picture below, it should be spawned in case the wrong soul enter on the stairs). I could work on this for a year and it would be never finished. I do not want this.
| pic.1 - enemy in case of wrong order |
What is even worse is I did not have a fun at all during this little project. It hit me when friend of my was showing me how he was doing games back in the days and it was obvious that it was fun for him. Check it: https://bit.ly/2Zgm1Po . The fun emits from it. I want to do stuff like that.
Summary
Here is my recommendation for you if you are a newbie like me:
- dream big, write down the ideas but for god sake - do small stuff at the beginning,
- have fun,
- do things in your power but also push the boundaries just a little bit,
- think about the game loop, game mechanics before you will start to write the game. Having idea is nice but it needs to be formed

Comments
Post a Comment