On the way - to soak in ink
"Even though he loves his creations he sees how ugly they are. He does not have the heart to let them walk like that around the world. Therefore he once again hit the road this time to the Inkscape, place where he is going to be taught the magic of game art."
I have only good memories about learning the Blender so I have to say I was looking forward to learn some vector graphics in Inkscape. And I have to say I was not dissapointed!
This series of videos helped me at my beginning a lot. It taught me basic of work in Inkscape which is the program I have decided to learn in order to create assets for 2D game. It is a vector based graphic program which makes a lot of things easy. I am not sure I would be able to handle pixel art. It is just my guess but I think it its much more easy to use vector graphic art for creating the assets then it would be in case of pixel art. But .., at the end it depends on the taste of yours.
Anyway, apart from attending on the course of creating comics at Ostrava city which was not so helpful in terms of knowledge (but it did raise my self-confidence) I had been practicing drawing of faces. During one of the lectures on youtube I heard term "visual library". In order to draw something from head you need to have references on the subject. With each reference which you observe, trying to draw by yourself you expand the visual library. Not only that it does make me shiver (the word!) because it sounds somehow adventurously but it also makes sense.
Since I do not have a huge visual library on my own I used google to get the references for assets to the game. If I think about that it was same with blender - I also had a reference. So I guess it is normal? Anyway apart from the state icon everything was created in Inkscape. The state icons were shamefuly downloaded.
I have only good memories about learning the Blender so I have to say I was looking forward to learn some vector graphics in Inkscape. And I have to say I was not dissapointed!
This series of videos helped me at my beginning a lot. It taught me basic of work in Inkscape which is the program I have decided to learn in order to create assets for 2D game. It is a vector based graphic program which makes a lot of things easy. I am not sure I would be able to handle pixel art. It is just my guess but I think it its much more easy to use vector graphic art for creating the assets then it would be in case of pixel art. But .., at the end it depends on the taste of yours.
![]() |
| pic. 1 - enemy soldier sprite sheet |
Anyway, apart from attending on the course of creating comics at Ostrava city which was not so helpful in terms of knowledge (but it did raise my self-confidence) I had been practicing drawing of faces. During one of the lectures on youtube I heard term "visual library". In order to draw something from head you need to have references on the subject. With each reference which you observe, trying to draw by yourself you expand the visual library. Not only that it does make me shiver (the word!) because it sounds somehow adventurously but it also makes sense.
Since I do not have a huge visual library on my own I used google to get the references for assets to the game. If I think about that it was same with blender - I also had a reference. So I guess it is normal? Anyway apart from the state icon everything was created in Inkscape. The state icons were shamefuly downloaded.
Summary
It was not fun at all. It was so boring that it drew me away from game development for almost three months. In blender it was fun, but in inkscape, not so much.


Comments
Post a Comment